View Single Post
Old 30-10-21, 18:57

Default Microphone and Receivers, Headgear Assemblies, Cdn, Type 10 ZA/CAN 1570

I will start off this Post with a wee apology for the readers.

In spite of the best-laid plans and intensions, the actual physical work put into restoring the two Type 10 Headgear had no real linear flow two it once underway. I ended up having to frequently hop back and forth between the two headgear and sometimes off in completely different directions in order to sort everything out. It is taking longer than I hoped to pull all that work into a logical, understandable flow to document it all effectively. I have had to take a few more photos of things I missed originally, or take better photos and then sort them all and tie them together with hopefully sensible notes. So please bear with me.

The first two photos here show the actual Microphones Case (ZA/CAN 1557) and Covers (ZA/CAN 1564) along with the Rubber Gasket (ZA/CAN 1565) stuck to the Cover. Loose fitting Gaskets were found in most of the Microphone Assemblies I was working with, but one did show signs of being varnished in place on the Case side. Surprisingly, all of these Gaskets were still very supple. The Cover is secured by four Screws, ANC, Brass, RH, 4-40 x ½-inch and internal toothed lock washers. Once they are removed, you may be able to pull the Cover off the case, but usually I needed to gently inset the blade of a Putty Knife into the seam between the two parts and gently twist them apart. If you are careful, the gasket will simply squeeze out of the way and be just fine.

These photos also show the Buttons, Phenolic, Pressel (ZA/CAN 1556) and Springs, Steel (ZA/CAN 1569) mounted to the outer upper top of the Case by Plates Assembly (ZA/CAN 1568) on the inside. Total movement of this Button is only about1/8-inch, which closes the two Contact Spring sets nicely, assuming they are still perfectly straight and vertical.

About halfway down either inside face of the Case, you can see a set of vertical ridges cast into the aluminum. These engage slots on the outside of the Holders, Phenolic, Insert to keep it, and the Microphone Insert it holds, correctly oriented inside the Case.

The third photo shows the microphone cord Rubber Grommet and Washer factory fitted. The Washer is, in fact, the Anti-Strain for the microphone cord. The large metal crimp securing the loom at the top of the microphone cord has two small rectangular tabs 180 degrees apart, bent up from the cord 90 degrees at the top end of the crimp. The Washer and Grommet slide up against these two tabs. When the rubber grommet is slid down onto its groove on the Case, the Washer slides down the inner face of the Case and is held between the two cast columns for the Cover Mounting Screws. In doing so, it clamps the Grommet is place, making it easy to fit the Cover onto the Grommet when the Cover is reinstalled. If the Grommet has perished and fallen away as many have, the inside half will still be there protecting the cord. The only way to install a new Grommet is to split it open with a sharp razor blade or scalpel and slip the Grommet over the cord. I had to do that one of the Type 10 Headgear I restored. I thought I would explain how it all works here. Oddly, however, I can find no part number or description references at all for either this Grommet or Washer in either the 52-Set or 19-Set documents I have on hand.

The last photo in this Post shows the conditions inside the Microphone Case of what appears to be the earlier version of the Type 10 Headgear, when I first opened it up. A lot of rust dust evident and other signs of high moisture. Interestingly, the Pressel Button still functioned nicely.

Of particular note at this point, are the squares of black rubber coating the upper back portions of the two Contact Spring Assemblies. The other oddity upon opening this Microphone Case up was that the Microphone Insert was well and truly stuck in its Holder Assembly. It should have been a secure fit, but easily pulled free with ones fingers.

As you can see, the wiring is nicely tucked around the perimeter of the Holders for the Microphone Insert. In fact, the lengths of each wire to work with are very consistent with where they have to go for connection. The tracers on four of the five wires match the documentation for the 5-Pin Connector Plug. The one deviation is that a double back tracer has been substituted for the Green Tracer in the manual diagrams. At first glace, it all looks pretty normal, doesn’t it!

David
Attached Thumbnails
Microphones, Hand, Cdn, Type 2  ZA:CAN 1555 1.JPG   Microphones, Hand, Cdn Type 2  ZA:CAN 1555 2.JPG   Microphones, Hand, Cdn Type 2  ZA:CAN 1555 3.JPG   Microphones, Hand, Cdn Type 2  ZA:CAN 1555 4.JPG