View Single Post
Old 30-10-21, 05:21

Default Microphone and Receivers, Headgear Assemblies, Cdn, Type 10 ZA/CAN 1570

Leading up to this part of the 52-Set Project, I recently checked in with the 19-Set Group in England to get their opinion on the value of cleaning the contacts on the 5-Pin Connector Plugs and Sockets. The feedback was unanimously in favour of clean brass contacts, but to only get them that way with metal polishes, such as Brasso, or my favourite, Autosol. NEVER use files or abrasives as once too much metal is stripped away, the Connector is completely useless.

So my first step at this point was to polish the contacts on both Headgear harnesses I was going to restore: a pair with excellent original looms, 5-Pin Connector Plugs still sporting their RCA Stamps, and the Headset Receivers showing good yellow Philco Stamps and C-Broad Arrow Stamps. The Microphone Cases for both Headgear were NATO Green and there was a lot of dirt on everything and hopefully I had enough spares on hand to see me through any major surprises.

Once the Connector contacts were cleaned, I connected each Headgear in turn to an open Drop Cord on my 19-Set Mk III, warmed it up and checked to see what happened with the Type 10 Headgear.

Beyond the task at hand of restoring the two Type 10 Headgear, this little test revealed a somewhat larger issue that may prove challenging down the road.

The rubber on these Headgear Connectors, and the three Drop Cords on my 19-Set Mk III, have hardened dramatically. I could not get either Headset to fully engage with the Drop Cord. The brass ring just disappeared into its mating connector and that was it. A good quarter inch or so short of fully engaged. Discretion screamed at m not to get picky at that point. The connection established worked and it was still possible to disengage the Connector. I also made a note to myself to NEVER try disconnecting the headset on the 19-Set Mk III. It was last connected back in 1982 and is probably set in place now. I will have to think the hook-up of headgear to the 52-Set very carefully when the time comes.

The first Type 10 Headgear I tested proved interesting. With the 19-Set warmed up and idling, as soon as I tried joining the headset connectors together, Pin-1 on both sides (the Pressel Relay) threw the Set into TRANSMIT Mode and fired up the Dynamotor. Not a good start. So back to the workbench to disassemble the Microphone Case and map out what was going on inside.

David
Attached Thumbnails
5-Pin Connector Plug 1.JPG   5-Pin Connector Plug 2.JPG