View Single Post
Old 30-08-21, 02:08

I had the Main Set Receiver over at a friends place this morning to have him mentor me through the alignment process for the RF Coils Assembly. I worked through the process twice and at the end of it the receiver now has signals booming in across all three bands. His part of town seems to have a lot less radio interference than mine does.

With the Main Set Receiver now back in the Carriers No. 4 and no longer deaf, I made an interesting discovery There is an open circuit somewhere in the Sender where the Aerial Feed passes though to the Receiver. When I bypassed the suspected problem area with a jumper cable, the receiver sprang to life with contact to my dipole aerial out back and WWV came booming in loud and clear on Band 3 at 10.0 MC on the dial. All sorts of other signals were to be found as well. Interesting that with the receiver completely deaf before the alignment work was done, I was completely oblivious to this problem.

The plan now is to bring the Remote Receiver up to this level of performance and then go back to the Sender. I have to complete the cleaning of oily soot from the lower chassis surrounding the 813 Valve Socket anyway and can take a closer look at the aerial circuit as well. I suspect it might be a problem in the Band Selector Switch but could also be the relay in there that disconnects the receiver from the aerial circuits when the set goes into transmit mode may be stuck open for some reason. Over all though, it was a great day!

David

Last edited by David Dunlop; 30-08-21 at 13:23.