View Single Post
Old 19-08-21, 20:03

Default C7D Trimmer Capacitor

I was able to get new leads installed on the replacement Trimmer Capacitor this morning.

Of course, as carefully as I had thought the process out, I ended up modifying on the fly somewhat. But pre-thinking the steps out still helps overall.

What I found was that the amount of factory applied solder to both terminals I was dealing with on the C7D Capacitor was massive and I had no choice but to VERY carefully melt it away. I ended up with two dime sized blobs on the top of the work bench. Even with that done, there was no way I could get rid of the wire wrap still left on the terminal at the top of the right hand Stator Plate Post. I finally realized the left side post was virtually unused and new and both were part of one and the same circuit in the capacitor. So I ended up cutting a lead long enough to solder to the left terminal and shape over to the right to line up with where it will have to go when installed in the coil assembly.

By comparison, the second lead attached to the Rotator Plate terminal on the extreme left, was a piece of cake.

The two photos show the pair of new leads freshly installed with red lacquer over the soldered connections and with the original insulating sleeve for the Rotator Plate terminal slipped back in place.

So now I can 'relax' until the weekend and start the more serious part of this replacement process, fully aware there are going to be some surprises, regardless of the amount of planning I do.

David
Attached Thumbnails
C7D Trimmer Cap 9.JPG   C7D Trimmer Cap 10.JPG