View Single Post
Old 09-08-21, 03:43

Gosh, Bruce.

As you probably know, the wartime era Military District 10 was headquartered here in Winnipeg at the old Ft. Osborne Barracks. The old ‘District’ structure was abandoned after the war and the ‘Command’ structure adopted and by the late 1950’s, Kapyong Barracks had been built just south of the Ft Osborne site, which was abandoned to the Provincial Government for use by a few Departments.

In the 1980’s the site, which had remained intact from its wartime days, was handed over to a private group and it became a new university campus.

I would LOVE to say I found 10 complete 52-Sets still crated in an old forgotten storage room, but no such luck! Not even one badly used one! But if it ever comes true, you will be one of the first to know!

This Project is definitely a challenge, but I really enjoy research and learning new things and that certainly helps balance out the challenges.

The other nice thing is the amazing assistance and support available from MLU members. As much as this site might be considered vehicle oriented, military vehicles all too frequently were equipped with complex, unrelated equipment like wireless kit, that draws expertise in from other areas. Sooner or later, all these little bits come together and we all grow that much wiser for it. Our sanity might be questioned a bit, but I think we do get wiser.

David