View Single Post
Old 23-07-21, 01:54

True to form in a project of this size, I was cleaning up the shop a bit this evening and ran across a ziplock bag containing a single Capacitor and Cleat Assembly I had not yet catalogued.

While looking the capacitor up in the Master Parts List, I ended up flipping past the page with the CAPS, Holders, Watch, No. C1 on it. Something I have done countless times before. This time, however, something in the shading of the illustration of this part, along the front face, caught my eye. It appeared to be a rendering of the ZA/CAN Number cast in raised letter in the Bakelite. That jogged my memory.

About two years ago, I ran across an ad on-line from a chap in England who was selling NOS Bakelite Pocket Watch Holders. If I recall correctly, they were originally packed 10 to a box and he had several boxes of them available for sale. Since both my 52-Set Receivers were missing their Pocket Watch Holders, I ordered a pair.

When they arrived, I had noticed they had the ZA/CAN Number cast into the front face of the Caps. Checking the two Pocket Watch Holders on my Mk II and Mk III 19-Sets, I found both Caps were smooth, No sign of a number of any kind on them at all. At the time I just assumed the ones I had just ordered were probably British made NOS and thought nothing more of it.

Now I find the cast ZA/CAN Number on those two Pocket Watch Holders is what shows up in the 52-Set Master Parts List. Late discovery, but nice none the less.

David