View Single Post
Old 22-07-21, 21:04

Default WS No. 52 Receiver Chassis Details: Part II

Continuing on with what I have found when disassembling my spare parts receiver, the 1st Photo in this Post shows a front view of the three machine screws used for mounting the right rear side of the Coil Assembly RF to the back of the Receiver Chassis. They are slotted, pan head machine screws, 7/16-inch long by 6-32 NC in design.

A rear view of these three screws is in the 2nd Photo. Once they were screwed in place, the heads were welded to the chassis and then ground down to avoid any contact with the leads from components mounted on the PANELS, Phenolic, 22-Tag ZA/CAN 4690 (Discussed in Post #616.) that gets installed directly behind these screws later in the assembly process. Note the welded heads have been zinc plated.

The three small Grid Cap Clip lead holes with the metal sleeves pressed in place, and the larger sleeve for the AGF, NOISE LIMIT and HET TONE Switches sub harness are also all zinc plated, so must have been fitted before the plating process as well, along with the 15 small hollow threaded spacers riveted on the chassis for mounting the Tag Panels. The crimps on all these rivets show no plain steel at all, just zinc plating.

The one remaining item that was riveted to the chassis is the 2-3/4 inch solid steel support for the lower inside corner of the 8-Pin Connector Mounting Plate. The third photo in this post shows this support in place, and the fourth photo shows the back end of this support rivet head. All of it again, zinc plated. The open end of this support is tapped 7/16 inch deep for one of the 8-Pin Mounting Plate Countersunk screws.

The last Photo here today shows the 13-Guage reinforcing strip spot-welded under the upper right rear lip of the main chassis plate for the upper two mounting screws of the 8-Pin Connector Plate. If you look closely in the 4th Photo, you can see that the metal from the main chassis panel has been cut back with a countersink just to the point of the reinforcing plate beneath it. I believe this was done to avoid the two mounting screws from grabbing both pieces of metal when threaded home and spreading the two pieces apart in the process. The kind of thing that can happen, when you try and screw two pieces of metal, or wood together sometimes.

Once all these pieces were assembled. The chassis would have been zinc plated and inspected. All three main chassis parts show circular, blue, C.M.C. Inspection stamps on them. The chassis then probably received its Production/Control Number, and then had the blue Component Location ID marked applied and spot varnished. The next logical step would be installing all the Valve Holder Assemblies, and then, perhaps the Main Wiring Harness.

As I noted in the previous Post, this disassembly has been very interesting, though time consuming to do. And I needed the diversion to clear my head a little. I now plan to get back to getting the Main Set Receiver back up and running properly.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Receiver Chassis 6.JPG   Receiver Chassis 7.JPG   Receiver Chassis 8.JPG   Receiver Chassis 9.JPG   Receiver Chassis 10.JPG