View Single Post
Old 11-07-21, 03:58

Default CAPACITORS, Variable, 3-Gang, 442-uuF, No. C1 ZA/CAN 4403

In the accompanying five photographs, this Capacitors assembly is shown with its ‘COVERS, Metal, Capacitor, No. C1 ZA/CAN 4226’ still fitted. The four wires feeding through the holes on the right side of the Capacitors are a very snug fit, and I thought I would defer to wrestling with them just once, when I need to resolder the wire going to the middle section of the capacitor.

In the front photo, you can see a four-digit number ‘4290’ stamped in black paint. Since these capacitors were of Canadian Marconi Company in house design and manufacture, this could also be another Production/ Control Number.

On the right hand side, an oddity in the design of the COVERS, Metal, shows up. The front most round head, slotted machine screw holding the COVERS in place, sits in an open slot in the COVERS. This would suggest an idea floated at CMC at one time to make the COVERS easy to remove, if needed. However, the remaining three machine screws all pass through simple holes in the cover. No slots there at all.

As noted with the markings stamped at the top of each slot on the right side of the Capacitors Assembly, the three capacitors in this assembly run in sequence from front to back as, C4A, C4B and C4C. The Circuit References for these are: Antenna, Oscillator and Detector.

In the rear view photograph, the CMC Part Number stamp runs across the middle of the assembly. Just above the ‘C.M.C.’ section of this number is a small Inspection Stamp, ‘INS’. A small blue paint dot in the lower left corner notes that this part has been tested as fully serviceable. I am not sure if the sealant used on the large adjustment screw is red paint or sealing wax. It is quite thick and fortunately shows no sign of being broken. The back end of the COVERS in this photo shows a blurred circular CMC Inspection Stamp and this one was redone on the Covers at the rear corner of the top, on the left side.

The fourth photo is the left side of the assembly, which is pretty straightforward.

The last photo shows the bottom of the Capacitors Assembly. The three countersunk screws, with red lacquer over them secure the Capacitors to its heavy gauge U-shaped, base plate. The three round head screws mount the Capacitors to the chassis floor of the receiver.

David
Attached Thumbnails
CAPACITORS, Variable, 3-Gang  ZA:CAN 4403 1.JPG   CAPACITORS, Variable, 3-Gang  ZA:CAN 4403 2.JPG   CAPACITORS, Variable, 3-Gang  ZA:CAN 4403 3.JPG   CAPACITORS, Variable, 3-Gang  ZA:CAN 4403 4.JPG   CAPACITORS, Variable, 3-Gang  ZA:CAN 4403 5.JPG