View Single Post
Old 06-05-11, 03:37
Armour Owner x 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsa View Post
I was trading messages with the seller since I also had some interest in the vehicle. But in four days, he has yet to answer any specific questions or provide any other photos. Several things looked suspect to me even though it has a nice overall presentation as it sits.

Most of my questions were basic so I'm baffled as to why he replies quickly, but not with any answers. Things like is it still original 6volt or changed over to 12volt. Is it the original engine, a wartime period type replacement or a modern engine. etc, etc.

I've given up now and won't pursue it. Still interested in seeing photos though
David

These days there are lots of photo, serial number and "details" collectors out there who make detailed enquiries, string a seller along but don't have the ready funds or wherewithal to make a purchase. What is often called a "tyre kicker".
It is such a problem in Europe and the UK that most sellers refuse to communicate by email and require a phone call, even if it is an international one from an enquirer. If you don't believe me, have a good look through Milweb. This is particularly so with dealers, who often come across as abrupt and rude and uninterested in a sale. One major dealer I know totally ignores re-enactors as in his words "they are full on until it comes time to pay".

A very quick way to get a seller off side is to put details on a public forum such as this. The old saw "gentlemen do not discuss other gentlemen's business in public" comes to mind.

As someone who has purchased a vehicle from another country, it is no small undertaking, I would think you would need to demonstrate that you have the wherewithal to do so before most sellers would take you seriously.

Lastly, since when has 4 days been an unconscionable time span for a reply. Have you considered he may not be near a computer during the week?

Regards
Doug