View Single Post
Old 19-02-06, 13:02
Marco Hogenkamp

Hello all,

It would be bold to state that 12MD removed the extra fuel tanks from all their Staghounds, but in my collection of 100+ wartime photo's showing 12MD Staghounds in France/Belgium/Holland/Germany, none has the extra fuel tanks still in place.
I think, apart from Army regulations, there was also a "Regimental policy" dealing with vehicle issues.
12MD Regimental policy was that you were allowed to stow everything on the car as long as long as this didn't obstruct the turret rotation.

I have seen several photo's from RCD and Polish Staghounds on which at least one of these tanks was installed.

The danger from carrying these "bombs" on the frontline is obvious and some extra storage space was very welcome.
With the war in progress, 12MD Staghounds looked more and more like gipsy caravans from all the (neccessary) equipment the crews needed.
12MD operated in enemy territory without back up, so they had to be self-supporting.

Without the extra fuel tanks, a Stag carries about 230 liters of fuel which would give it a range of 150-200 miles on fair roads, which (according to 12MD veterans) very rarely gave problems.

Now on the green flaps in fig 18: the top two flaps, nearest to the air intake chute, are for refilling the radiators.
The centre two are for refilling the engine oil.
The lower one between the mufflers is for refilling the main fuel tank.
In order to refill the transmissions, the engine covers had to be opened.

Attached is a British stowage diagram showing a late-production Staghound.

Best regards,

Marco
Attached Thumbnails
stowagediagram-2.jpg