Thread: Info needed: cmp 13 gun tractor
View Single Post
Old 24-06-22, 15:37

Default Serial number J844N2685

I'm not saying that your reading of the number is wrong, but typically the serial number assigned at the GM factory in Canada was purely numeric. As a result, I would have expected a C-GT model to have a number of the format y8440nnnnn with y being the last digit of the nominal year of manufacture and the ns being the sequential serial number (8440 representing the artillery tractor model). Based on that I would guess your serial is 3844026851. My experience is that it is unusual to find Canadian Chevrolet with the serial stamped on the chassis but this might have been done after the fact to satisfy a licensing authoutity (though the numbers are much better spaced and aligned than most after the fact efforts). Is there any chance that the data plates remain on the dash to confirm or deny? If the plates are missing, a difference in how the paint in their locations has aged might hold a clue.

Followup: I found a photo I took of the data plate of the remains of a CGT, attached. The other plates list it as a model C-60441-M-FAT-4 with parts list CGT-01 and maintenance manual MB-C1 applying. The photo confirms the pattern described above (possible exception - the model year).
Attached Thumbnails
CGT data plate.jpg  

Last edited by Grant Bowker; 10-10-22 at 01:50.