View Single Post
Old 24-10-14, 16:25
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dunlop View Post
OK, maybe it's late and my brain is getting a bit dotty, but it seems to be wanting to convince me that the early, square metal hatches had a small tubular rail, like a towel rack, mounted on the roof of the cab, at the front of the opening. Looking somewhat like a grab rail. Is this correct? Was it a grab rail, or was it rail to take a sliding gun mount of some sort? Or am I just experiencing another brain fart?
David, as you said: these roof hatches are primarily a means of getting a better view of ones surroundings. Often people speculate about gun mountings fitted on the hatch/roof, as if the sheet metal CMP roof could withstand the recoil of sustained MG fire recoil. Maybe it is just that some collectors or modelers want to pack their CMP with a some punch, akin to the poor overloaded LRDG / SAS jeeps.

Apart from the Australian efforts - see below - I have not seen any documented proof these hatches were to be used for anything else than observation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Webb View Post
Many Australian CMPs were fitted with a counterbalanced mount for a Bren gun for anti aircraft defence.
The photo below shows the gallows in the proximity to the cab roof hatch from where the gun would be fired suspended. My question is: how often was this used in practice?!?

Source