View Single Post
Old 02-02-17, 22:37

Mike, Maurice,

Thanks for your replies. So, that means we have at least 3 C8's with a U-joint that failed. Do you guys remember which part actually failed? the spider maybe...or the front yoke?

Thanks for reminding me Maurice....I couldn't remember who told me about the C15 upgrade!
Based on both your experiences I am now also looking at upgrading the U-joint. I am hoping to find something that will work with the tube and ball collar.

Attached is a picture that Andrew posted some years ago.....based on that picture I think my C8 has the original rear yoke, but had the front yoke and spider replaced.
My front yoke seems to be of a heavier design than original, so maybe I can save the it after cleaning up the welds and finding a spider that does work with both the front and rear yoke.
Another option would be to replace the complete joint for a heavier example, but than I would have to find one that has 17 splines to fit the C8 prop shaft.....so far it seems only Passenger Chevs and 1/2ton trucks at the time had 17spline shafts. I am also looking at GMC CCKW parts as they seem plentiful and cheap and they are probably a lot heavier than the C8 parts.

Thanks guys,

Alex

Last edited by Alex van de Wetering; 02-02-17 at 22:43.