View Single Post
Old 21-08-19, 04:26

I have had some looking around and discussion with others and would like to offer the following to the debate from what others have said to me

The SAAQ is looking at military vehicles by named type, non standard VIN's and mostly, was there ever a civil counterpart IMPORTED to Canada ( i.e does it have a Transport Canada Civil import classification )

For example, only three civil Iltis were imported to Canada, but, these are listed as VW type 183's and have a standard VW VIN, the rest are easy to find, as the have a DND number. The VW type 183s are exempt from this new rule.

If it has no civil road going counterpart, like a half track, Ferret etc, no C plate will be issued. If it has a weapons mount ...again, no C plate, its being pulled off the road

Imported Unimogs also get swept up easily as few early non-military types were imported, and Transport Canada has never authored commercial import as a truck...only in the classification of tractors

Same goes for anything that has no civil counterpart by Year of Manufacture, so you might get away with a an MB if it was a 46 ( first year of CJ-2) or an M-38A1 ( CJ-5) but only if the VIN doesn't trigger the SAAQ data base...an earlier MB will get a C plate, but, not if it has a pedestal mount for example, and its possible, as there was no civil variant before '46, that they are off the road, but the feeling is that they will be C plated

There is an appeal process , but that might be lengthy

To the guy in BC with the Ferret...BC has a an Act within the ICBC and Road users legislation that covers any vehicle that is Armoured. Basically, no armour is allowed unless engaged in transportation of valuables by a licensed company ( Brinks et al )

This legislation is on the books to prevent gangs from armouring their cars against gunfire, are issues in BC.

There is an appeal process for a case by case exemption, but he has to write to the minister of Transport BC with an explanation to why he needs it

Quebec does not use English Common Law ....the inverse is true under Quebec Civil Law, if its not prescribed, Quebec’s view is that its not legal ( therefore, new legislation is easy to create and enforce)

It is not so much the regulators it is mostly a lack of understanding of the vehicles themselves.

To what level SAAQ regulatory staff have much training or skill in separating classes and vehicle types is debateable, so the more general they can be, the easier it is to pass a regulation. This legislation could be changed by a group making a petition for adjustment, but , it would have to be a Quebec group showing why their MV's should be treated like any other vehicle

As it stands until this a former DND Iltis had to be modified to meet Quebec road safety standards before a licence was issues ( mostly lighting ).

In closing, in most cases in most provinces and territories, registering a vehicle for use on the road is a privilege not a right, nor is having a drivers licence. This is highlighting that, and reminds me that we should value what we have. I feel sad for those in Quebec who have to endure this.

Home of the Maple Leaf Adapter
2 Canadian Mk1 Ferrets
Kawasaki KLR250 CFR 95-10908 ex PPCLI
Canadair CL70 CFR 58-91588
Armstrong MT500 serial CFR 86-78530
Two Canam 250s
Land Rover S3 Commanders Caravan Carawagon 16 GN 07
Trailer Cargo 3/4 T 2WHD 38 GJ 62