Thread: Info needed: ARN stencils- Size and style
View Single Post
Old 07-01-20, 00:01
VMVC

Default ARN stencils- Size and style

Good Day,

My apologies if this topic has been covered before but I could not find any info regarding the size and style of stencilling used to mark the ARN on Australian CMP trucks.

I found an old photo I scanned years ago showing some numbers- 53166. Wish I had traced them then before stripping the cowl a few years later.
We are all wise in hindsight!

Using proportions from an enlarged print of it I worked out they would be 3-1/2" high. The parts truck cowl numbers 45988 are only 2" high.
Were these numbers applied based on the local command supply of stencils or were they specified as to height by a central authority? If so, did the size change at some point in time?

By amazing coincidence the numbers I need are almost the same as the old photo ones. Just change the 3 to a 5 and bingo!

It has been a bit smoky to be outside due to the bushfires, and now drizzly, so I spent a few hours yesterday with Paint.net replicating the numbers I need from the scanned photo. They may not be 100% correct but better than nothing unless further info comes to hand.

Thanks in advance for any info regarding this.

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails
1991-17.jpg   IMG_0021.JPG   55166 photo - Copy.jpg  

Jacques Reed