View Single Post
Old 19-11-21, 01:02
Bluebell

Richard, weight could well be part of it, but I think stability of the track came into it (not such a great tendency to fall off!) The Vickers tank has a longer track like the Windsor etc. The Loyd is similar in length, but retains the narrow track. I suspect the Loyd "got away with it" because of its lesser tare.
Also I suspect that the VLT, being classified a Tank, (teeth arms) needed that extra degree of independence on the battle field, that the more reliable wide horn track became its std. spec. As no doubt you are fully aware, Vickers by this stage had built and field tested so many variations that they knew what worked. All just my un qualified opinion.
On the track: It is interesting that so much of the wide horned track with headed pins survives. In this country at least. I wonder if the million links made in the USA for the war effort (Eastern War Council, NZ built LP2a order?) were of that style (otherwise where did they come from?)
Colin J. What would the weight of the tank be? Having crawled through your tanks some years ago, the memory of many light gauge aluminium bins/ boxes/trays etc. sticks with me. I cant help but feel an aircraft engineer was involved in fitting out these tanks. (Yes, I vaguely know Vickers built aircraft)

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....

Last edited by Lynn Eades; 27-11-21 at 21:29.