Thread: Info needed: ARN stencils- Size and style
View Single Post
Old 10-02-20, 14:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Cecil View Post
In practice, the colour for 8 was simply green - whatever medium/khaki green the applicator could lay his hands on.
Thanks Mike, that explains it for me: any old green will do, as long as it's recognizably darker than the lighter green used to indicate the figure '4'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Cecil View Post
Odd that the bars were applied away from the number: the two were usually mated together for quick visual recognition (the colour bars) then confirmation of the USN. Having them separated would slow down the process.
Yes, and even more odd when you consider the Dark Blue background - why not simply put the USN on the LHS where there's no Light Tone disruptive colour to be overpainted.

I came across this scan of the US Army POM instruction (Preparation for Overseas Movement) which I've tried to correlate with the original British system from which it derives. I'm assuming they used essentially the same colors and names (except for OD in lieu of Service Colour) and merely shuffled them around a bit. Are you able to confirm please.

Cheers,

Tony
Attached Thumbnails
US Army POM (Preparation for Overseas Movement) & British Army USN (Unit Serial Number) colour c.jpg