View Single Post
Old 20-02-05, 19:49
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: Catching up.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark W. Tonner
Hi Karmen;

Dumb question, if Joseph Smith passed in Sept 1945, who was the Office of the Adjutant-General writing to regarding the circumstances of Edward's death, well into the late 40's. There are letters dated, as late as, Jul 1947, from the Office of the Adjutant-General, addressed to Mr. Joseph Smith, Beaconia, Manitoba. That would also mean that Joseph never knew that Edward had been murdered, since the first letter to this effect, is dated 6 Dec 1945. (from the Adjutant-General to Mr. Joseph Smith). Also, all the paper work regarding Edward's 'Estate', going into 1947, mentions Joseph in the 'present' tense, or in other words, not deceased. Also, Edward's 'Official Registration of Death' certificate from the province of Manitoba (dated 7 Mar 46) lists Joseph as the next-of-kin (not deceased)

Regarding the 'Memorial Bar', it looks like it was never sent.

Cheers
Not dumb Mark, I guess you missed references I made to this in the past in other threads about Grandpas date of death etc.

I assume that Granny received the mail ... you may notice, when shuffling through some of the back and forth correspondence between Granny and the Forces people, that she NOTED Granpa had died Sept. 17, 1945 ... I also noticed that future mail was often addressed to grandpa still, and have always wondered "why" if the Forced had been informed. Correspondence is there that was addressed to Granny as well ... yes... very confusing hey?

When I went out to Balsam Bay Cemetery to "visit" family in our little church yard, Grandpas headstone gives his death year as 1945 as well, and he is tucked in right beside Granny ... and Mom ... so there is no danger of me having identified the "wrong" Joseph Smith.

This whole story, in terms of tragedies in my family around Uncle Ed's death, and the fact that both Ed's father AND grandfather died on his birthday in that fire 1945 ... well ... it must have been horrendous for my family. Uncle Phillip Genaille as well ... Ed's brotherinlaw who died June 6th during the initial D-Day landing.

No ... Grandpa wouldn't have ever seen the medals ... or known the details of how his son died ... That may be a mixed blessing for him.

BTW, Mark, if you noticed in the "family members" page, Uncle ELMER (Ed's brother as well) is noted as OVERSEAS. I wonder if its possible to find Uncle Elmer's name mentioned anywhere. He DID come home as I know he died in an accident a couple of months before my birth.

Now back to you ...

Karmen