View Single Post
Old 19-02-05, 02:07
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: AWL

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark W. Tonner
For some, more so than others Karmen. Hopefully Norm will see this thread, he my have some information regarding soldiers and AWL, himself having served 1939-1945 (46)

Cheers
Thanks MARK, I hope NORM jumps in here then ... or my Drambuie friend ART JOHNSON.

I think that no matter what the reasons for AWL's ... my Uncle enlisted of his own free will and was there (overseas) voluntarily and he went right to an unjustified death in an unfair "fight". He wasn't even allowed to fight a real war to the death, as war intended, and that is one of the things that blows my mind about the executions. I ALWAYS feel like these men were ripped off of dieing as soldiers are meant to if they must die ... in a fair fight, no-one defenseless ... FAIR. But ... these men had their freedoms to do that stolen. THAT bites me most.

I think here, also, of the ages of so many soldiers then ... 19 - 20 - 21 (Uncle Ed, as you all know by now, was only 21 when executed) He was 19 in that photo... as was my Dad in his photo.

I wonder how many of the "kids" who enlisted never had a clue as to what things would REALLY be like... these were't "career" soldiers .... they were just young men who jumped in when needed, for whatever reasons.

Yes ... I hope others jump in here who were "there" and give some words about all this AWL business

Karmen