View Single Post
Old 15-02-05, 16:23
Vets Dottir

Default Re: PVT.Eddie Smith..

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex Blair
Here may be a chance to get Lake Winnipeg changed to Lake Pvt. Eddie Smith...
Hi Alex

Well, EDWARD SMITH LAKE has already been named in honour of my Uncle (if this IS the same Edward Smith to which you refer)

latitude: 55-23-15
longitude: 101-20-15

It's tucked more than halfway up the length of Manitoba near the Saskatchewan border ... near FLIN FLON at KISSISSING LAKE. I regret I didn't have a chance to visit there while I was staying in Winnipeg. Perhaps one day I'll get to visit there ... I more hope to visit his resting place in Beny Sur Mer though, as the lake in Manitoba honours his memory, but he never had any 'life" connection to that area of Manitoba. It's far from "back home" on the south eastern lake Winnipeg shore where he was born and raised, lived.

They used to call Manitoba "Land of 100,000 Lakes" There were SO many Manitoban fallen soldiers ... but there are many, many water places that I'm sure will be blessed with new names of new fallen soldiers ... I love the gesture and the physical tangible public acknowledgement of it. Nice.

Regards Cliff Chadderton's new book ... I hope to read that book. He was in a different Company than my Uncle/s but I'm sure the stories from the soldiers speak the experiences of most of the men who experienced Normandy.

Thanks for this post Alex.

Karmen