View Single Post
Old 11-08-07, 05:41
Vets Dottir 2nd

Hi Gregory,

This whole (incredibly long) thread is incredible and goes into not just my Uncle but the other soldiers murdered in other spots around Normandy after D-Day, including the murders at the Abbey. Anyone I've talked to or who has contacted me to tell me about their own relative is pretty much the same story about how hard it is to learn about what happened and the particular details. Lots of blows, and lots of hard truths to swallow.

I don't know what info you've found out but this thread, especially at the beginning, talks about sources of more info ... like the Video that Waramps put out about the murders (you can get a copy for yourself) and the priceless book of details and sources for them called Conduct Unbecoming by Howard Margolian. I have both the video and the book.

Regards the photo of my Uncle, I uploaded that photo and it was the only one I had, A photograph of an actual newspaper clipping in the Winnipeg Free Press from when Uncle Ed was first listed as missing. Family calls the picture his "missing in action picture". The truth was a long time coming about what happened, for all the soldiers I guess. My uncle's group in particular I think as it was months before they were known about and found.

Some kind soul uploaded the pages from the records and photos of the headstones though I did too and did so for many if not all of the soldiers. The name of the guy responsible should be listed ... I know it is in my Uncle's memorial page and assume it is for the other soldiers as well.

If you've read through this thread you'll have noticed that Geoff, our webmaster and owner of MLU, went over to Normandy and payed a very special visit to my Uncle Ed's resting place for me and saluted him, layed a Canadian flag and a little memorial he made up for me to place there. I've never been to Normandy, but am glad you made it over. I can only imagine the emotional and psychological experience, and just the sacred energy of the place. Being there is powerful.

I do have a photo somewhere of the Audrieu with my Uncles name on it but would love to see the photo you took if you wanted to send it to me. I can give you my email address if you'd like, in a private message.

The bullet hole in the wall is ... wow ... physical eveidence stiill there to see, of the atrocities done.

I'm sorry you lost your Uncle, and more sorry for how he was lost. It wasn't right.

By the way, I will be posting more things to my Uncles memorial page, at some point. His age still needs correcting. He was 21, not the 25 they list.

Til next one,

Carman (look to you PM's for one from me with my email address