View Single Post
Old 28-04-24, 18:45

Default Supply Unit Update

Work on this item is getting a lot closer now.

Hopefully, the last major tool needed for this part of the project was purchased yesterday, the Arc Stick Welder pictured below. These only come on sale a few times a year. It is definitely not in the same league as the massive Lincoln beast I owned in the 70's and 80's that needed its own 220 Volt service line installed in my parents basement shop at the time, but it is a very capable machine for repairing what needs to be done of the Supply Unit.

As a reminder, somebody as one time spent some time hitting the top edge of the front panel with a hard object. This welder will allow me to infill those dents and file the top edge back to its original look. the welder gets very good reviews from people who understand its limitations. Prolonged use on a 15 Amp Household circuit will trip the breaker unless you dial back to around 60 Amps on the welder, but it works just fine on a 20 Amp circuit, of which one is present in my current basement shop.

I have also ordered in 10 each of 8 different carbon composite resistors, most of which will be needed in the front end of the Sender when its time comes, and a couple might be needed in the Receiver Vibrator Supply section of the Supply Unit.

Two 0Z4A valves are on there way here as well. The one in the above noted section of the Supply Unit might be failing and causing some/all of the current issues with the Supply Unit, but I discovered the one remaining such valve in my spares kit is suspect.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Mastercraft Stick Welder.JPG   WS No. 52 Supply Unit 83.JPG