View Single Post
Old 21-06-15, 17:56
carrier mech

Bruce
We are now talking about the MLVW I presume?

The only real problem we had with the spare tire holder here was that the little rivet on the end of the bar woudl shear off, and of course at the worst possible time. It never happened to me mind you. With a little bit of thought, it wasn't bad to slip the tire up onto the carrier.

I have started the MLVW with only that ether bottle right down to below -20. The problem was that while the machine would be warming up at a barely running engine speed, we humans would run back into the building. 15 minutes later, when we woudl come back out, the truck would be screaming away at max RPM.

The bottle was held in with one clamp, which required a 7/16 wrench if I recall to replace it.

Far too often the bottle was either not there or disconnected. Wel meaning mechanics would disconnect them in the belief that operators woudl hit the ether button to "boost" the trucks at high speed, like something out of mad max. Of course, what they did not know was that the power to the bottle switch came off the starter circuit. Unless the starter was engaged, the switch did nothing.

The mechanics would also disconnect the micro brake for some reason, in the belief the operators woudl use them as a park brake. While they were no good for long term parking, they were good for winching operations. But as soon as the system lost 1 to 3 drops of fluid while engaged, the brakes would start to slip.

I like the MLVW....rugged and simple. They will be 35 to 38 years old by the time they are replaced.