View Single Post
Old 20-06-15, 14:21
carrier mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris vickery View Post
Consider at $8500 for a LSVW how close you are dollar wise to actually buying a nice historic project veh that may have some wartime history and real re-sale value afterwards. Remember guys, these LSVW trucks are not fully restored vehicles neither. Ya they are kinda neat but buyer beware and don't overspend.
I suspect the real value on these at auction 3-5k
I suspect they should be paying folks to take them away. The LSVW has very little redeeming features. Especially anything from East of the Manitoba border, with the incredible rust problems. There is a premium to be paid for the novelty of owning a truck that is still in military service. As a truck however, they are 23 years old, and replacement parts (and you will need replacement parts) range from hard to find to non-existant.

Example: why, on a cross country military vehicle, would you put the air cleaner intake on the bottom of the engine compartment? Would there not be the possibility of ingesting water if you drove too deep through streams or during flood duties?

As a mechanic, I always hated any vehicle that makes you take the engine out in order to simply replace the starter. And why, after 20 years of service, did they not come up with an oil pressure sending unit that does not fail every couple of months. They rupture internally then leak out the bleed hole.