View Single Post
Old 01-11-12, 23:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by maple_leaf_eh View Post
Just to follow this theme further, there was a news story about a coal mine in British Columbia hiring Chinese foreign workers to operate Chinese long wall underground equipment to extract Canadian coal. The local labour union bosses were predictably dismayed, and this time I agree with them. I personally have little interest in going underground, but with enough money and incentive there must be people interested to train to dig coal. It is hard work but someone has to do it.

It almost makes me wonder if too many people in the school system think only of clean hands, indoor jobs without due respect for developing the physical and technical trades.
To often we propagandize our youth about mining raping the earth and other rubbish, no one wants to kill the planet right!
Lots of well paying jobs go wanting but for someone who will move or get there hands dirty. Tried to get a hard rock mining course going at the tech school... no applicants!
Any TV or movie always charecterizes such work as done by hicks and not the really high tech but honest hard work that it is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRVdiHu1VCc
Rant off!