View Single Post
Old 12-12-04, 00:28
Dog Robber

I really hate it when I do this.
Pat beat me to the shower this morning and I had 10 extra minutes to get on the internet and decided to answer Hanno's post. Took me most of that time to find the misfiled pic I posted.
By the time I found it, I was out of time and had to run and just sort of stuck it up here with a couple of words.

In any case, yes, it is a Belgian Staff/Officers car as originally built and probably looking very like the pic on Nuyt's site but with the top up. It was not my intent to say it was an Umbau-Wagen but rather the possible basis for one.

So, what do we really know about these Ford/Marmon Herrington vehicles?? That they were procured in at least some numbers by Belgium and Holland, absolutely no doubt. That they were, in some form or another, tested by the German Forces as something they might have produced to more or less the same design seems quite likely and is the subject for an interesting research project.
We also know that the US procured at least some but it did not come to any volume production. I seem to recollect that I have seen or may even have buried in my collection, pics of similar vehicles in Romania, Hungary and the Baltic countries but these may have been German vehicles captured in Holland and Belgium.
To return to Germany, I sort of lost track of Bart's quest for the answer to the "WIFO" Ford story and so do not remember if he ever solved it or not. I would have to go back through the W&T collection to find out more.
And, yes, Nuyt, I believe there are pics out there of Ford/Marmon Herrington vehicles supplied to Romania as late as the 1941 year model. I think Bart's book has a photo.
Bill