View Single Post
Old 14-08-19, 04:26

Default AU Centurion formation sign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Cairns View Post
From Shane's book: "Instructions introducing a formation sign for vehicles operated by AFV (Army Component) were promulgated on 20 October 1969. The sign consisted of a red bounding kangaroo facing left on a yellow shield edged in dark green. The sign, produced as a pressure-sensitive sticker, came in two sizes, one eight inches square and a smaller version five inches square. Centurions and other armoured vehicles were to display the larger sign on the front and rear of the tank. Display of the formation sign is quite rare on Centurion medium tanks, though why remains unknown. It was more commonly applied to ARVs, again for an unknown reason."
Rod, I really appreciate this clarification. The Seymour Vietnam Veterans Commemorative Walk reserve Centurion currently has a formation sticker on the upper left glacis but it is just the red kangaroo facing left on yellow shield, without the dark green edging. I thought I saw somewhere on this forum an explanation of the distinction between two ATF formation signs (one being HQ and the other the corp or similar) but I cannot find it now. I am probably getting my memories mixed, as it may have been in relation to another AU theatre.
Owen.