Thread: Handing it down
View Single Post
Old 22-02-13, 07:15

Default Hello again - interesting development - finally!

Hello again, I apologized for the infrequency of my communications as well as the length when I do . . .

In April of 2011 a couple of things occurred: I facebooked Bill Trbovich, producer of the 1984 seminar about our interest in re-releasing the tapes and I breathed my last free breaths of having only one child. Shortly after Emmet Ford was born and he just started sleeping normally about a week ago!!

This month two MLU relevant issues presented themselves.

1. For a myriad of reasons I decided to sell the rental property with the garage where my dad's CMP was being stored. It sold immediately and the truck must be moved by March 8th (incidently my dad's birthday). I contacted Marilyn Gurney, President of the Organization of Military Museums of Canada (OMMC) who forwarded my willingness to donate the truck to a museum. I received replies from: New Brunswick Military History Museum; The RCA Museum in Shilo; EME Museum (which I don't know where it is); saskatchewan military museum (which is new, and I don't know much about); Canadian Militaria Preservation Society (http://youtu.be/QDfMighZEiU); and The Calgary Highlanders Regimental Museum and Archives.

I was wondering if y'all had thoughts about these establishments. I remember my dad speaking of Shilo fondly. I have interest in the truck staying in Sask. and perhaps helping out a fledgling museum, but wonder about it's long-term durability. In general I wonder if a museum will take the truck but never show it.

Colin, you had offered appraisal services. I have attached three pics. The hood is the cab, but can easily be put back on. I would be very thankful if you would be willing to share your knowledge here. In terms of mechanics, I believe the master cylinder for the brakes needed to be replaced and the it had been suggested to sleeve the brake lines. The fan belt is loose and both water pumps leak. The engine starts easily and runs great. (I find that incredible for a 70 year old truck with few tune-ups. - take that Honda!)

Do museums want the truck in running condition? Do they keep it that way? Would it be worth fixing the mechanical stuff before donating?

2. The other development, and the one more related to this thread:Bill Trbovich got back to me! Here's what he had to say:

Quote:
Boy does this bring back memories. Let me put things in perspective for you. The CMP seminar you have a copy of was shot on Bill Gregg's farm in Rockwood Ontario in the rather large barn where he housed his collection. The cameraman who shot the seminar was Jim Reid who has since passed away. The seminar was shot on Sony 3/4 inch tape and dubs were made at BonKen Productions on behalf of my company, Trbojay Productions Ltd. I was still working for CBC Television when the seminar was shot and soon went to Global Television shortly afterward. My ex business partner, John Harris worked as the commercial producer for Global at the time and Ken ..I can't remember his last name..was John's editor. The reason the seminar was shot on 3/4 inch tape instead of betacam (the then industry standard), was because Ken did not have access to betacam editing gear. Still the quality was quite good but if remember correctly sound could have been a problem because we did not have a large operating budget, so a dedicated soudman was not possible.
If I recall correctly, quite a few of the participants were key people involved in Canada's military production during the war, so it was worth recording. Bill Gregg donated copies of this seminar to the Canadian War Museum as well as the Royal Canadian Artillery Museum at CFB Shiloh Manitoba when he donated his entire collection in the late 1980's. Bill unfortnately passed away but his wife Caroline still resides at the family farm in Rockwood. His son Andrew is still involved in television as well and they may have copies or the original. Beyond providing copies at the seminar participants, I did not distribute the seminar to anyone else. As to the new generation not using beta tapes, everything now is put on DVD. I have no problem making the seminar available to a new audience . I think it would be a great idea.
However before you emabark on any duplication, I would appreciate seeing your copies and perhaps I can arrange to have your copies re-edited, digitally enhanced and hopefully correct the sound problems. Video production has come a long way since this seminar was shot.
I considered Bill Gregg a good friend and I have fond memories of your father too. I met Bill during my days as a reporter at CKCO television in Kitchener and my passion for building models of armour and Bill's thirst for knowledge on anything WW2, especially Canadian, made for a lasting friendship. I did subsequent stories with Bill when I worked at CBC and again at Global. If you're embarking upon reissuing these tapes, let’s do it properly, for Bill and your Dad.
I would like to be involved since my name is on it. Thank you for making me aware of this.
All the best,
Bill Trbovich
IAMAW Director of Communications
So supposedly the Canadian War Museum as well as the Royal Canadian Artillery Museum at CFB Shiloh Manitoba have copies of the seminar - maybe one of them is the original. Perhaps they still have them. I can contact them to find out. It sounds like Bill would like to help make them available.

-Chris Ford

Click image for larger version

Name:	army truck side view (spare tire and tool box 100).jpg
Views:	39
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	55093 Click image for larger version

Name:	army truck side angle (50).jpg
Views:	275
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	55094 Click image for larger version

Name:	army truck front view (84).jpg
Views:	34