Thread: Handing it down
View Single Post
Old 01-05-11, 15:40
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Ford View Post
The truck is still in good condition. I believe the master cylinder needed work or replacement (ideas where to get one or who to see to get`er fixed?) and as a result the brakes don`t work. As well the fan belt is too old and loose (again ideas on where to get a new one?).
*snip*
Other than that I think she`s still a beaute! We used it in 2001 as the wedding party vehicle for my sister`s wedding - the first time I got to drive it. Wow, double clutching with no synchomesh, and gas pedal in the middle, not to mention its all backwards for right-hand driving. It was pretty fun!
Hello Chris,

Go to Modern part numbers for CMPs to look up the part no. for a Ford brake master cylinder. They are still a current item. If the master cylinder itself is still usable, you can buy a set of cups etc. off a WW2 Dodge WC-series truck as the innards of both master cylinders are the same.
As for fanbelts, check macsautoparts.com or any other retailer stocking Ford Flathead parts, they should be able to help you out.
But not too difficult jobs if you have some spanner twirling experience, otherwise it should not cost and arm an a leg to have someone else do it.

As others have said, if you do not need the cash and can arrange storage someplace, I think it is worth keeping the truck. Being in a very busy phase of your life, you could also consider loaning it to a museum. It will be on display and under cover, but you will keep it in the family.

Regards,
Hanno