Thread: Handing it down
View Single Post
Old 01-05-11, 07:47

Chris:

Best to get and keep the truck in good running order. Try Brian Asbury in Milton, Ontario. 519-853-1738. No storage space in Saskatchewan? I can't believe that! If you think its hard to find out there, try finding storage in the Vancouver, BC area! That is a key reason why I sold my Ferret Scout Car (a little armoured car).

Selling a truck that does not run is a big money losing proposition. If you donated it to a museum you would get a tax receipt for "Fair Market Value" i.e. the value it would sell for in an open market with a willing seller and knowledgeable buyer. Higher value if running! If tax receipt is from a regular non-profit society/museum, at tax time you could deduct it and the tax rules let you deduct about 27% of the value. If you donate it to to a Federal museum, their tax receipt will be good for 100%. Unfair to small museums but then Ottawa writes the rules. For appraisals under $1,000 a Curator can do it. If between $1,000 and $5,000 then a second appraiser is required. If over $5,000 then three appraisers are required. I could be one of those for you at no cost, in memory of your Dad. Could do it through photos. I have seen the truck, though years ago. Value is likely between $5,000 and $15,000. Sadly Canadian vehicles don't usually command high prices as the demand is strangely low. Canadian War Museum would not need it. They have lots of CMPs. There are some military museums in Sask. Also some collectors.

If you have a problem finding someone to convert Beta tapes to DVD, let me know. An acquaintance owns a company here in BC which does many types of conversions.

By the way, please keep your eyes open for a cassette tape of mine that I had loaned to your Dad. It was recordinjg of us firing (legally) a variety of machineguns, and riding in Mickey Zwack's Universal Carrier in Prince Albert, Saskatchewan. Unfortunately was the only copy and the gun laws have changed so we cannot repeat the sound effects.

Colin Stevens seaforth72@gmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Ford View Post
Thanks Keith, Brian, Alex, Hanno, Phil, and Colin for your replies. ...

Colin, any sense of what my dad`s truck is worth - if a person sold it privately or donated it to a museum? Does the tax receipt match the approximate private sale value? The truck is still in good condition. I believe the master cylinder needed work or replacement (ideas where to get one or who to see to get`er fixed?) and as a result the brakes don`t work. As well the fan belt is too old and loose (again ideas on where to get a new one?).
Also Colin, I saw your tribute too. Whenever I wanted to show somebody what my dad and a CMP looked like - I would go to your site. Thanks for for the kind words and act.

Other than that I think she`s still a beaute! We used it in 2001 as the wedding party vehicle for my sister`s wedding - the first time I got to drive it. Wow, double clutching with no synchomesh, and gas pedal in the middle, not to mention its all backwards for right-hand driving. It was pretty fun!

Keith - where do you want me to send the tapes? I`m going to dub my dad`s opening remarks onto DVD for my family once I remember how to hook up the wires, and while I`m at it, I`ll probably do the whole five tapes as well, then send the originals to you. Betamax isn`t a problem for you right? If Australia is all out, I`ve still got 4 of my father`s former 11 kicking around - you know for parts!

Not to be forgotten, I also appreciated the kind words on your web site about my pop. Writing this post - I hadn`t previously considered that three different individuals in three different countries had devoted a section of their websites to pay tribute to him. That`s really something to me.

-Chris Ford

Colin MacGregor Stevens, CD
Richmond, BC