View Single Post
Old 23-04-20, 10:27
F60S

Default Id

They are pictures of my Father, Hank Thomas, taking delivery of an outside broadcast truck in Egypt.
In addition to his responsibilities for all radars from Sfax to Basra, and from Istanbul to Mombasa, once war ended he was also responsible for some (all?) Forces Broadcasting in Egypt.
Prior to receiving this Chevrolet, he had been using a Humber and other vehicles. In one of these he covered the anniversary of the relief of Tobruk and on the way back to Cairo his driver muffed a gear change and snapped the pinion in the back axle. Thinking that it was no big deal, they changed to 4-wheel drive intending to continue by using the front axle. However they discovered that the front propshaft had been removed. Although they were surrounded by smashed up vehicles they could not pinch a propshaft as they had no tools. It was 3 days before they were rescued.
Below is a picture of his faithful Humber in Sinai and some of his trip to Tobruk. The tank is a Fiat-Ansaldo L6-40, the plane is a wrecked Heinkle HE111 and the shell is a 14" naval one.
I wrote all this up including all his journeys into the Egyptian and Libyan deserts in a private publication for my family so can enlarge on this if anyone is interested.
Alastair
F60S
LynxI MkIII*
Attached Thumbnails
23 breakfast - Sinai{small}.jpg   Fiat-Ansaldo L6-40 {small}.jpg   Naval shell - 14inch{small}.jpg   wrecked Heinkel He 111 {small}.jpg