View Single Post
Old 19-12-20, 23:07

Quote:
After editing the photo, it produces this result. To the right of the hull is a W?
Wout, I only see the census number, a spare track link rack and a very faint star. Do you seen the "W" more towards the rear of the hull.....possibly part of the tanks nickname???

Quote:
Personally, I am more interested in finding out where the Sherman Crab came from.
Hanno, I only have a copy of the 1944 War diary of the Westminster Dragoons, so I am not sure if they were in the vicinity at the time (1945)...However, I am leaning towards the Crab being 1st Lothians, as there is a series of pictures showing crabs of this unit in Velp in the local archive, and because known 1st Lothians Crabs show the same storage rack for track links on the left hand side of the hull.....a detail you don't see on Westminster Dragoons Crabs.

The Crab also has a somewhat different attachment of the left side cilinder to the tank....the rearmost stiffening rib securing the bracket and cilinder to the left side of the hull is different from others I have seen.

Last edited by Alex van de Wetering; 19-12-20 at 23:16.