View Single Post
Old 09-07-10, 19:57
Richard Harrison

Hi and wlecome to the forums buddy, I cant really add anything else to what has been told.

i spent a year looking for one which suited my budget, i was very lucky with my find and my pals over the pond really came through for me.

things i considered before taking the plunge were

1) storage space you garage or workshop cannot be any less than 12ft x 8ft !

2) do you have / possess access to toolage, skillset for restoring a vehicle of this nature to a good standard.

3) do you have time to restore one ? as these beasts can and do swallow a big lump of your time, restoring a carrier IMHO is a big commitment.

4) Logistics:- an average Mk1 or Mk2 will weigh in between 3.75 - 4.5 tonnes so to take them any distance you need a lowloader. you could drive everywhere but your tracks and sprockets wont last and its getting harder to find usable replacements (hence the track thread here)

5) above all else BUDGET...... it is not by any means a cheap vehicle to restore especially if it is a lower tub up job like many have had to do...George Mckenzie, Martyn Tasker, Myself.....and many others... if you can get our Brothers over in Canada and Australia to keep theyre eyes peeled it is my experience that it is cheaper and better to buy over seas as our British lot go crackers with price tags over here.... unless your name is Kevin Wheatcroft, then price will not matter

to give you a glimmer, Dirk Leegwater had a fantastic restoration carrier very very complete and he was asking 14k for it.......it sold very quickly ! this is where some feel it is best to keep carrier locations close to your chest until money has passed...

mind on the flipside of the above dont get suckered in to paying stupid money for one as they do come up often and sometimes at a very reasonable / affordable price.

well having not had much to add i have still rambled on........cant help it !

Cheers

Richie

__5th Div___46th Div__
1942 Ford Universal Carrier No.3 MkI*
Lower Hull No. 10131
War Department CT54508 (SOLD)
1944 Ford Universal Carrier MkII* (under restoration).
1944 Morris C8 radio body (under restoration).