View Single Post
Old 25-03-20, 13:33
MLU Administrator

Default "Does that make sense?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philippe Jeanneau View Post
The funny thing is that the sketch with the measurement of 475 mm or (18-45/64") corresponds to the truck in the Australian museum with 10-50-16 tires... I'm inclined to say that this 16" (10 bolt) wheel might be at least 7" wide or so, given the information I have from Stuart... For some added perspective, my solid 16"x 8" wheels measure 446.8 mm or (17-9/16") and still accommodate a 9.50-16 tire... So the true size, or circumference must be the area in contact with the tire bead... Both would have to be the same. Anything outside of that area is obviously irrelevant and may differ from manufacturer to manufacturer... Does that make sense?

To touch on Andrew H. comment, I have the earlier truck, identical to a WA model, which I have seen with solid 16" wheels (IWM) and what seems to be 16" split wheels (laying in the dessert) but I may be mistaken. Maybe someone else can shed light into that mystery also...

Rest assured that if I could get my hands on a bunch of CMP wheels (or any suitable wartime wheel for a Chevrolet) I would cut them and re center them to fit the bolt circle and backspace of my truck... But there is nothing like that here in USA...
Hello Philippe,

Re. "does that make sense?": as to the measurement of wheels, I compared Stuarts measurements with the basics of wheel geometry:

The wheel diameter is measured at the tyre bead location. So the subject wheel has a diameter of 16", which means that 16" tyres will fit. Apparently Stuart measured the diameter from flange to flange, obviously more than 16". The rim width is also measured at tyre bead level. This will probably be 7", given the overall rim width is approx 9.5".

The pictures you posted of the Chevrolet WA (they state it is a WB) at the IWM show a single piece rim not unlike the one you have on your truck. You plan to add a fatter tyre and plan to have tyres manufactured. I do understand you'd like the diamond sand pattern, but you could also see if a tyre like the 11.00-16 Michelin XZL is available in your region. It has a nice chunky military appearance and they are obviously larger than bar tread 9.00-16 tyres.

If you want to fit split rims, chances are one of the Canadian MLU members could source a set of 4 or 5 standard 16" W.D. spilt rims for you, strap them to a pallet and have them shipped to Florida via a backload or grouped transport. If you're not in a hurry shipping should not break the bank. Just place a wanted ad on here and see what the reactions are.

Or just use the yellow rim you posted if those fit your hubs already.

I agree with Adrew, let's not make this too academic. You've got a great truck as it is, finding the unfindable wheels and going down the path of having tyres manufactured, will not add much joy to owning this truck. Well that just my 2 cents worth

Name:  131.gif
Views: 106
Size:  8.2 KB Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_LRDG Wheel.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	112700