Thread: Shock absorbers
View Single Post
Old 11-08-04, 08:23
aka C. Mark Perry (CMP)

Thanks for the comments - I've been examining the things and fiddling around with them a bit. Got the one with the missing cap moving enough to get the fixing bolt clear, put some oil in another (Gunk hydraulic jack oil specifically indicated for use in refillable shock absorbers, so I guess that's as good as anything).
Simply replacing them with functioning used ones is likely the best course, given the costs of refurbishment - at least one if not two I have wouldn't be acceptabe cores at Apple Hydraulics in N.Y. - and the cost is prohibitive.
As for the usefulness of them - from driving around in heavy leaf-sprung jobs for so long, I know the dampers can seem a bit superfluous, but they're there for a reason, so I would want them functional - got to have them for the looks if nothing else. Knee-action shocks are one of the items that give CMPs their character, to my mind.

Got to get the frame mess sorted, one broken spring leaf, brake system renewal, before I really need to deal with the shocks.