Thread: Shock absorbers
View Single Post
Old 04-08-04, 08:05
aka C. Mark Perry (CMP)

Default Shock absorbers

I just took off all the shock absorbers from the C8A today - all the links are missing, but some of the link ends were still attached to the frame and arms. Figured the shocks were going to come off anyway, and it was easier to knock out the old, broken link ball joints on the bench.
Two of the shocks are seized - one, left rear, somehow had had one of the end caps removed (why do people do these things?) and the piston was full of dirt and rusted in. The right rear doesn't move with normal effort.
The fronts are better, one seems to be OK, the other moves, but feels dry. Looks like a couple of the link holes on the arms have been buggered, too, but could be honed out.
Question is, while the MB-C2 manual makes servicing of these units fairly straightforward (if you have the special tools),
who bothers to overhaul them, or is it better to replace them outright by scaring up some used but reasonably servicable units?

I've found at least one place in the US that offers rebuilt Delco 2000 (with core - but mine are NG by their criteria), for $155 US (!)