View Single Post
Old 28-11-15, 04:47
Lionel G. Evans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Henderson View Post
Decided to build the rear section first before I did anything else.
This would be the hardest job so why not get it out of the way first.

Done a couple of 13 cab Chevs before but i wanted to do this one as accurate as possible to the original as it was not the usual Chev.

Took an original timber sample to a wood expert who said is was Vic Ash,
never heard of it so he/we settled on Tassy Oak (Plantation Tasmanian Oak).

Had the main runners and supports cut to size from local Wandoo.
Wandoo is cut green and is bloody heavy and very hard.

Copied the original timbers exactly and was paranoid about getting everything square. Learnt alot about carpentry along the way, actually enjoyed working with wood for once.
Hello Wayne,

I have a 1935 truck that is coach built and the timbers need replacing. They are good for templates and not much else. I would like to have the timbers in the cabin identified so I could replace them with the original species. The hardwood tray also needs replacing too!

The cabin was made in Australia and the truck came from America as a rolling chassis and firewall only.

I was thinking of visiting the latest guise of Queensland Forestry Department with some samples so they could identify it. Not that I am sure where in Australia the final truck was assembled as they might not be Queensland timbers.

I also have a 1940 Australian built Holden - Chevrolet ex-Army truck that needs its tray and sides replaced. It was made for the Army because its colour plate says "Khaki". Thankfully the cabin is all steel and in good condition. I will be getting the Chevrolet's timber for the tray identified as well.

Kind Regards
Lionel
Series III ex-Military Land Rovers x 2

Last edited by Lionelgee; 28-11-15 at 12:31.