View Single Post
Old 20-02-05, 18:38
Senior Forum Member

Default Re: Catching up.

Quote:
Originally posted by Vets Dottir
I do want to comment that I'm really sad to say that Grandpa Joe (Ed's Dad) never got to see his sons medals, as he died in that house fire Sept. 17th, 1945 ... (which also would have been the day of Uncle Ed's 22nd birthday) Granny Joe received the medals I assume, as they were around when I was a little kid. I don't recall ever seeing a "MEMORIAL BAR" though?
Hi Karmen;

Dumb question, if Joseph Smith passed in Sept 1945, who was the Office of the Adjutant-General writing to regarding the circumstances of Edward's death, well into the late 40's. There are letters dated, as late as, Jul 1947, from the Office of the Adjutant-General, addressed to Mr. Joseph Smith, Beaconia, Manitoba. That would also mean that Joseph never knew that Edward had been murdered, since the first letter to this effect, is dated 6 Dec 1945. (from the Adjutant-General to Mr. Joseph Smith). Also, all the paper work regarding Edward's 'Estate', going into 1947, mentions Joseph in the 'present' tense, or in other words, not deceased. Also, Edward's 'Official Registration of Death' certificate from the province of Manitoba (dated 7 Mar 46) lists Joseph as the next-of-kin (not deceased)

Regarding the 'Memorial Bar', it looks like it was never sent.

Cheers