Thread: Kettenkrad
View Single Post
Old 01-10-11, 16:45
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Greville View Post
Hanno

I think you are only partially correct. The financial crisis has had a lot to do with it, the average person just hasn't got the money to fund such an expensive purchase.
However, one of those KKs is in South Africa, which scares off most people.
Doug,

I am sure you know much more about them. But was just making a joke: I was surprised to see the spike in increased interest & prices after it was used in Saving Private Ryan and therefore became "cool".

I have a lingering interest in the Kettenkrad. I find it an interesting, typically German over-engineered piece of equipment. I recall finding one in a barn back in 1984 (1st pic), when it was not for sale. I corresponded a lot with Bart Vanderveen in those days, so he published one of my pictures in Wheels & Tracks magazine (2nd pic). Later, someone managed to buy it for a lot of money and then spend huge amount of resources restoring it to a standard which not many (if any) KK's surpass (3rd pic). I am happy to say it was restored and stayed in Holland, as it was captured by British troops in the Scheldt area in 1944 - it is a piece of our history.

In 2007 I got the chance to drive the one (4th pic) owned by a certain German we both know. As you can see I am simply too tall for this small machine, but I did manage to take it off road and was mightily impressed by its performance.

Hope you are enjoying yours!

Hanno
Attached Thumbnails
Kettenkrad Zeeland 16-11-1984_resized.jpg   WT19_p.18_0008.jpg   Kettenrad (34)_resized.jpg   P8257301_cropped.jpg