View Single Post
Old 21-10-21, 17:55

Hi Harry.

As Chris noted, you have a ZE-11 Remote Supply Unit developed by Canadian Marconi Company to power the Remote Receiver used with the Wireless Set No. 9 Mk I Canadian.

When CMC introduced the Wireless Set No. 9 Mk II Canadian (which suddenly became the Wireless Set No. 52 Canadian on very short notice), CMC made a very minor change to the fusing arrangement, moved a larger data plate consistent with those on the rest of the 52-Set components onto the centre rear section of the base of the supply and renamed it a ZE-12 Remote Supply. For operating and maintenance purposes, the two supply’s are really identical.

For a while it was thought early issue 52-Sets were equipped with the ZE-11 Remote Supplies as a number of 52-Set Remote Receivers showed up on the surplus market equipped with them. My 52-Set Remote Receiver was like that when I found it.

It is more likely that the extremely close similarity between the ZE-11 and ZE-12 Remote Supplies, resulted in any stock of ZE-11’s being retained in the supply system, when the Wireless Set No. 9 Mk I reached the end of its service life. They would very easily have augmented whatever stock of ZE-12’s were still available to keep the 52-Sets still in service, up and running.

As Chris noted, the power cable from the Remote Supply to the Receiver is missing. Interestingly, this cable was identical for the No.9 Set Mk I and the 52-Set, to the point that Canadian Marconi never bothered to change their Part Number for it.

I see your supply still sports an original CMC Vibrator. Best not try putting any power to the supply, however, as it is almost guaranteed a pair of electrolytic capacitors inside have gone totally off standard and would need to be reformed first.

Hope this helps, Harry.

David