View Single Post
Old 16-06-20, 04:28

Tony,

It struck me when you first put up the image of the door rubbing that the numerals were in an odd sort of style - the slope on the back of the 5, the curve of the front of the 4. These are hand painted, not stencilled, too.

From what you have said, the numbers are on the third coat: base coat, then KG3, with a disruptive of a sand colour (so early 42 cammo, which fits with its arrival in Aust) then the icky brown on which the numbers are painted.

I have seen a couple of doors with ARNs, (and a single ARN on the front bumper) but these were, from memory, on vehicles that remained in service post-WW2. In the case of 59651, it was hand painted as 59-651 for some reason. Keith's wandering through CMP heaven may throw up some more instances of ARN's on doors?

Your truck's entry in AWM126 appears to show disposal at war's end or soon after the war (red ink entry, etc etc) so I can't offer much more than there are always exceptions to the rule. Did the same icky brown cover the ARN on the front or was the ARN painted onto that, too?

Regards

Mike