View Single Post
Old 17-04-06, 22:50
Senior Forum Member

Default Re: A Squadron LdSH

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Miller
I was reading through the RCAC History book yesterday and read that these Shermans were purchased from the Americans in Korea. I think the number purchased was 22. What is unclear to me is whether that was 22 total? Or 22 per Squadron? Correct me if I am wrong but from what I read and your list of active dates, the squadrons rotated active duty so a total of 22 "shared" tanks makes more sense. If that is the case, did each Squadron repaint the vehicles (or at least the names on the vehicles) when they took over. The RCAC book has a photo of a "C" Squadron tank called "Cougar"...

If they only had 22 tanks total, then rolling one over was probably a cause for concern.

Did these tanks come back to Canada or were they returned to the US Army (or South Koreans)?

Hi Bill;

From what I have, Canada purchased 30 from the Americans in Korea with "C" Sqn LdSH (the first user unit) drawing 20, which would leave 10 in reserve. On rotation, the incoming squadron would have painted out the outgoing squadron markings (and name) and applied the squadron markings (and names) applicable to their squadron. What happened to these tanks when "D" Sqn RCD left Korea in late 1954, I have no idea, but I doubt the tanks themselves came back to Canada, they likely were sold off in theatre.

Cheers