View Single Post
Old 09-07-05, 05:45
Son of Kangaroo Trooper

Default Strathconas?

The guy that sold me the photo was a Strathcona, yes. However, this was not his personal photo nor did he recognize it. The man it belonged to was one Trooper John McKenzie Ewing M45815, here is what little I know about him from the few photos and scraps of paper I have received.:

Joined the South Alberta Regiment in June of 1941. May have lived in Medicine Hat previous to the War. At some point prior to Nov. 1944 he was Taken on Strength with the "kangaroos". Was WIA in February of 1945. Was in hospital (maybe for an unrelated illness in Sept 1945) I suspect he may have returned to Canada with the S.A.R. in Dec. of 1945 but not sure. (I do not have his discharge papers or service booklets.) Was living in Calgary in 1951 and 1952 (so Korean service may be out?). That's it, not sure at this point, what became of the man after 1952. :

The above photo was the only one of his with vehicles or equipment all the rest, 6 in total, were personnel photos (One looks like a WW1 red cross medic?). All photos were unmarked. I didn't think the upside down tank was a Ram and the barren landscape is not evocative of Holland. I did think the photo might be taken in Alberta post war.

If anybody does know the story behind the picture, I'd love to hear it. Thanks so much for the input!!

Bill.