Thread: re Victor White
View Single Post
Old 29-12-07, 21:29
Senior Forum Member

Default Re: Husband's father, Victor White

Quote:
Originally posted by merv millar
I have recently obtained my husband's father's attestation papers and am trying to trace where he actually was.My husband's father died in 1995.Would any one know how I can find out what the acronyms mean? In one part it says he was attached to 4th BTn RCE and gives unit as 1stCBOu/s and also 4 PLDG and later WNSR. He was wounded on Dec. 16 '44. and place given was Allied Armies Italy. It lists 3C gen Hosp and then transferred to 1C and then 14C gen hosp.
I would like to be able to find exactly where he fought. He was awarded the Italy Star, the France and Germany Star and the Defence Medal.
I am hoping that someone may be able to direct me to where I should look to get further information.
Thanks so very much.
Lynn
Hi Lynn;

What the acronyms mean:

4th BTn RCE - 4th Battalion, Royal Canadian Engineers

1st CBO - maybe should read 1st CBD - No. 1 Canadian Base Depot

4 PLDG - 4th Princess Louise Dragoon Guards (either Canadian Armoured Corps or Canadian Infantry Corps, depending on the date)

WNSR - West Nova Scotia Regiment (Canadian Infantry Corps)

3C gen Hosp - No. 3 Canadian General Hospital, Royal Canadian Army Medical Corps

1C - No. 1 Canadian General Hospital, Royal Canadian Army Medical Corps

14C gen hosp. - No. 14 Canadian General Hospital, Royal Canadian Army Medical Corps

Judging by his medals and units mentioned, I would say he served with the 1st Canadian Infantry Division and his service was - Canada - United Kingdom (Defence Medal) - Sicily - Italy (Italy Star) - North West Europe (The Netherlands) (France & Germany Star).

Cheers