View Single Post
Old 08-02-21, 23:37

Default LOCKS, Panel ZA/CAN 4306

As I had noted earlier, the Lock Assembly has been soaking in light oil for the last week. It took two days to get all the air bubbles out of it, so after that I was confident all the interior bits were fully immersed. I knew the cylinder was moving in its housing and the bolt moved back and forth about a 32nd of an inch but was not at all certain what state of corrosion, if any had evolved inside the lock. When I got the Sender home, I had flooded the cylinder with DeOxit and followed that with 3 in 1 Oil, but that was the extent of any work done on it.

When I pulled the lock out of its oil bath last night, I was pleasantly greeted with a lot of very fine grey ‘dust’ coming out of the keyway and from around the cylinder. I took that as a good sign.

At the locksmiths this morning, they had one cut key ready to go to try out in the lock. If it was OK, they would cut the remaining two I had ordered. The key went in easily but alarmed us all briefly when it would not turn at all. The bolt was in its withdrawn position and the natural instinct was to turn the key clockwise to extend the bolt. We went to anticlockwise mode on a whim and instantly, the cylinder turned and the bolt extended. Learned something new about the lock today. It is a one half-turn mechanism. I am not at all certain when this lock last had a key in it, but I am thrilled it now has a set and the lock is fully operational once more.

The reinstallation of the lock into the Sender was relatively straightforward. The really nice thing is the Power Switch is very stiffly fitted to the chassis by its wiring so tends to stay put. The first step of installation was to slip the lock back into place. Then install the spacer on the lower right corner between the back of the lock and the switch plate, drop the screw down into it and attaché the star washer and hex nut, just a couple of turns, Then using a pair of long, needle nose pliers, I was able to reach in with the spacer for the screw located top dead centre on the switch plate and drop its screw down through it, thereby holding the spacer in place. Then you can go back and install the lower left side spacer, screw, star washer and hex nut. Tighten both of these about half way.

The top screw will now be lined up close enough to its captive nut on the top of the switch plate; you can engage the screw in its nut with a screwdriver and secure it. Then go back and tighten the lower two screw assemblies and you are done.

David
Attached Thumbnails
LOCKS, Panel ZA:CAN 4306 4.JPG   LOCKS, Panel ZA:CAN 4306 5.JPG