View Single Post
Old 25-02-04, 08:51

Default THAT'S THE ONE !

Yep Tony, that's her in all her former glory.

By the time I tracked it down 6146 had been extensively stripped out and dismantled. The original engine was long gone, no sign of armament remained even part of the track was lost and most internal fittings discarded. What remained though was very easily restorable and some of the original paintwork and numbers remained clearly visible.

The farmer had begun to convert it into a tracked utility for firewood carting and had painted a large amount of red lead paint over the hull but then lost interest and left it in a shed to house spiders in a dark dingy shed.

The day I went to inspect it I almost dropped the torch when I read the serial number 6146 on the driver's side of the hull and of course bought it in the spot.

I originally wanted to pass 6146 on to the Australian War Memorial but at the time they were actually in the process of selling off a number of vehicles, Adelaide Military Vehicles Museum made overtures but by that time it was betrothed to another collector who already had a 2 Pounder gun and other parts lined up.

Thanks for sending the pics Tony. They brought back memories of happy hunting days. I used to have some copies myself. Hopefully this vehicle will one day reappear in similar condition for all to enjoy...

Phill Hastings