View Single Post
Old 10-03-06, 19:29
Senior Forum Member

Post A point of interest

Quote:
Originally posted by Hanno Spoelstra

Photo by Donald I. Grant. Department of National Defence / National Archives of Canada, PA-131564.

Crowd welcoming the Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry Highlanders of Canada to Leeuwarden, the Netherlands, April 16th, 1945.

Source: http://www.combatcamera.forces.gc.ca
Hi Hanno;

Actually, these are not RAM Kangaroos, but are RAM armoured gun tractors (17 pounder towers) of the 6th Anti-Tank Regiment, R.C.A.

I have come across this photo before and going back over my notes:

In the 9th Canadian Infantry Brigade's dash for Leeuwarden, the infantry rode in borrowed RAM armoured gun tractors of the 6th Anti-Tank Regiment, R.C.A. and in miscellaneous vehicles of the 14th Field Regiment, R.C.A. and 27th Armoured Regiment (The Sherbrooke Fusilier Regiment), C.A.C., The first troops of the 3rd Cdn Inf Div to reach Leeuwarden, were elements of the 7th Reconnaissance Regiment (17th Duke of York's Royal Canadian Hussars), C.A.C., who entered the town on the afternoon of the 15th only to find the 1st Armoured Car Regiment (Royal Canadian Dragoons), C.A.C. already there.

At the time, "A" Sqn, 1 CACR was in support of 2nd Cdn Inf Div and "B" Sqn, 1 CACR was in support of 4th Cdn Armd Div, with both squadrons in harbour ("A" Sqn - Groningen and "B" Sqn - Neuronburg) doing maintenance and repairs on their tanks on 15 and 16 April, 1945.

Just thought I'd pass this along.

Cheers