View Single Post
Old 14-09-06, 10:48
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Neil Ashley
The machine gun ring whilst sensible is probably going a bit further than most of the improvised conversions pictured.

The Americans from memory also did a limited standard version of this vehicle.
Neil,

I spoke to the owner and he showed me the picture that inspired him: it was a picture of the T8 or T8E1 Reconnaissance vehicle.
Reportedly, the Commonwealth Stuart Recce inspired the US Army to standardise the concept, resulting in the T8/T8E1 Reconnaissance vehicle based on the M5A1 Light Tank. But after testing in 1944, the Armored Board only ordered that Theater Commanders be made aware that conversion kits could be made available. I doubt they were actually used in action, let alone in substantial numbers.

Anyway, I did not want sound pedantic and tell the owner who spends his own time, sweat and money on this vehicle that it is "wrong". Luckily he did not fit mine racks on the hull sides and some other features which are typical of the T8/T8E1, so if you hide the MG ring with your hand like Gunner suggested, you see a Stuart VI Recce.

First I thought this conversion was carried out by a friend of mine, but it turned out the current owner converted this Recce tank from the sand coloured Stuart with replica turret, which is well-known from its car crushing performances at Beltring. So there is a second Stuart restored as a Recce tank in the UK. Anyone seen it?

Hanno