View Single Post
Old 27-05-04, 14:49
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by John Sliz
I did ask a question on Storm boats last year (and I'm grateful for the pictures and info that was provided), but then I didn't know that there were two types of Stormboats, British and American.
Now, I'm talking Storm Boats here, not Assault boats, which were quite different. At Arnhem the British used British made Assault boats and the Canadians used British made Storm Boats.
I know that this question is a long shot, but I'm hoping that someone somewhere knows the origins of these boats.
John, the Engineer chapter of A Military Encyclopedia Based on Operations in the Italian Campaigns, 1943-1945 gives a nice overview of the differences between British and American Storm and Assault Boats:

Quote:
Section 8. Comparison of River Crossing Equipment

1. Assault Boats:

a. British Canvas Boats.
(1) Easily portable (Could be carried open by four men).
(2) Easily maneuvered in the water when loaded.
(3) Easily damaged in transit by rough handling.
(4) Not easily repaired.

b. U.S. Plywood Boat, M-2.
(1) Not so easily portable.
(2) Easily maneuvered in the water, loaded or empty.
(3) Not so easily damaged in transit (boats "nest").
(4) More easily repaired.
(5) Served dual purpose (i.e. making infantry support rafts and expedient assault boat bridge).
(6) Much noisier in use with non-rubber shod personnel.

c. Conclusions:
(1) The American pattern assault boat was decidedly more robust and had the great advantage of dual purpose. However, the British boat proved itself perfectly adequate for its primary task which did not require great durability.

2. Storm Boats:

a. British Storm Boat.
(1) Heavier to carry across country.
(2) Would carry heavier load (6 pounder or jeep though latter a top heavy load).
(3) Carried ten men, but with a lower speed.

b. American Storm Boat.
(1) Carried by 6 men (plus 2 for motor).
(2) Would carry up to 1500 lbs with very little reduction in speed.
(3) Carried 7 men (above crew) at maximum speed.
(4) Was the faster boat; would beach at full speed.

c. Conclusions:
(1) For assault crossing of personnel the U.S. boat carried fewer men but got them across the river and in action much faster.
(2) For cargo carrying, British boat carried a greater load but at a slower speed.
There is a lot of confusion over the use of the term "Assault Boat" and "Storm Boat". I understand during river crossing operations, Storm Boats (fast and small) were initially used to ferry infantry across, followed by Assault Boats, which are larger and slower than the former.

HTH,
Hanno