View Single Post
Old 22-07-23, 20:05

A recent discussion on Missing-Lynx has some good information:

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard.c.andersonjr
I'm trying to track down my notes but IIRC I found that two LVT were assigned to each of the 20 Amphibious Truck Companies, accounting for 40. However, the overall requirement stated was for 200 for operational use, 50 for training, and 50 as a reserve. It does not appear that more than 150 (probably LVT-2 or 4) had arrived by the end of April, so 70 LVT-1 were drawn from the Med to cover the operational requirement and leave a small reserve. However, I am not sure where the others were assigned - I suspect it was with the ESB.
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard.c.andersonjr
Okay, I've found a bit more. In addition to the requirement statement for US forces for 300 LVT made on 17 March, the following information is available.

As of 10 March 1944, there were 51 LVT-2 on hand and it was "anticipated" that 54 would be on hand by 30 April, implying the requirement was only for the 40 plus replacements needed for the 20 planned Amphib Truck companies.

As of 25 March 1944, there were 39 LVT-2 on hand in the ETOUSA. It was "anticipated" that 315 would be on hand by 30 April. Where the missing 12 went is not stated but the change in requirements to 300 was very evidently due to a demonstration of the LVT-2 done 17 March at the Assault Training Center at Wolverton.

As of 6 May 1944, the Ordnance Section ETOUSA noted that 80 LVT were "due to arrive in UK anyday" but there was no current operational requirement for them, implying that any use beyond those required for the Amphib Truck companies had been shelved.

On 17 May 1944, a final increment of 60 LVT-2 were released by ETOUSA to the British making up the total requirement of 105 they requested for NEPTUNE.

On 30 May 1944, the Ordnance Section ETOUSA noted that armor kits for the LVT-2 were not available but were due to arrive soon.

The most complete statement I have found is for 20 August 1944. It found US Forces in 12th Army Group and the ETOUSA had:
126 LVT-4 on hand with troops and none in depots or allocated to special projects = 126
293 LVT-2 on hand with troops, 7 in depots, and 2 allocated to special projects = 302
19 LVT-1 on hand with troops, 55 in depots, and none allocated to special projects = 74
There were no LVT(A)-2 available.

Problematically, this may not include LVT assigned to US Navy Forces in Europe, which will require another deep-dive.
And a few posts down from that:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Smith
There are - or were - a couple of LVT-2 wrecks on Utah, said to have been there since D Day. Photos confirm their presence in better condition as far back as the 1970s.

This photo purports to show a British equipment collection point in or after Normandy. But could in reality be anywhere in NW Europe. There is a single LVT-4 towards the back (arrowed) - apparently painted grey.
Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	135178

This USCG photo taken from a vessel off Omaha shows a single LVT-2, said to belong to the 459th Amphib Truck Co who apparently had 1 for evaluation. As apparently did 458th.

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	135180

There is a single LVT-1 in this photo, bottom left.

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	135179